Olive Marie Valentine
- Born: Feb 13, 1908, Rushville, Schuyler Co., Illinois
- Marriage: Jesse L. Goodwin
- Died: Dec 22, 2005, Valparaiso, Indiana, At Vna Horton Hospice Center, Thursday at age 97 1
- Buried: Dec 30, 2005, Rushville City Cemetery In Schuyler Co., Illinois
Another name for Olive was Olive Goodwin.
OBITUARY - Olive Goodwin
Olive Marie Valentine Goodwin, 97, of Hobart, Ind., died Thursday, Dec. 22, 2005, at the VNA Horton Hospice Center in Valparaiso, Ind.
She was born in Rushville on Feb. 13, 1908, to Herbert E. and Ada Maude Rittenhouse Valentine. She married Jesse L. Goodwin on Feb. 13, 1927, in Philo.
In 1942, Olive and Jesse moved from Rushville to Gary, Ind., with their five children, and resided in Glen Park until 1965, when the couple retired and returned to Illinois. Two years after her husband's death in 1985, Olive moved back to Indiana and lived at Town Square Retirement Village in Merrillville. After failing health in 2000, Olive moved to the Brentwood Assisted Living Community in Hobart.
Prior to her marriage, she taught school in a one-room schoolhouse in rural Rushville. In Gary she was sales associate at the downtown Sears store for 16 years. After leaving Sears she owned and operated the Dairy Treat Drive-In. She and her husband loved to travel and spent many winters in McAllen, Texas. In celebration of her 90th birthday, Olive made her last cross-country motorhome trip in 1998, driven by her daughter [Ada] and son-in-law, (Coleman) to visit old friends in Texas and family in Arizona and California.
She was a member of Tri-County Travelers, Inc, Good Sam Recreational Club, and Illinois Sheriffs Association. She was a former member of Memorial Chapel in Rushville and supported the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, Calif., for many years.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, Jesse L. Goodwin; brothers, Glen, Edwin, and Lucius Valentine; sister, Sara Threlkeld; daughter-in-law, Marian (Schu) Goodwin; great-grandsons Jesse Edwin Klein Fryslie and Jordan Dale Fryslie; grandson-in-law, Dale Edwin Fryslie; great-grandsons Brian Matthew Teitge and Joseph Klein Barenie.
She is survived by five children, Herbert Verne (wife Bonnie) Goodwin of Gary, Ind., Sara "Sally" (husband Charles, Jr.) Bucko of Clearwater Beach, Fla., Jesse "Klein" Goodwin of Hobart, Ind., Linda Ann (husband Jon) Land of Monticello, Ind.; and Ada Jane "AJ" (husband Gene) Coleman of Hobart, Ind.; 16 grandchildren; 30 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held Thursday, Dec. 29, 2005, at 7 p.m. at Burns Funeral Home, 701 E. 7th Street, Hobart, Ind. Rev. Jonathan Gosser, of the First United Methodist Church will officiate. Interment with graveside service will be held on Friday, Dec. 30, 2005, at 1 p.m. at Rushville City Cemetery, South Liberty St., Rushville.
Friends may visit with the family at Burns Funeral Home, in Hobart on Thursday from 2-7 p.m.
Memorials may be made to the VNA Horton Hospice Center, 501 Marquette St., Valparaiso, IN 46383.
- The Rushville Times, Wednesday, December 28, 2005, page 5B, column 1
SSDI record: OLIVE V GOODWIN 13 Feb 1908 22 Dec 2005 (V)
46342 (Hobart, Lake, IN) (none specified) 344-16-2687 Illinois
Noted events in her life were:
• Age: Age.
• Associations: County Travelers, Inc.
• Associations: Good Sam Recreational Club.
• Church: Memorial Chapel in Rushville.
• Funeral Home: Burns funeral Home, 701 E. 7th Street, Hobart, Indiana.
• Occupation: owned and operated a Dairy Treat Drive-In.
• Occupation: sales clerk at Sears in Gary.
• High School: graduated from Rushville High School, 1926.
• Occupation: teacher, Bef Feb 1927.
• Residence: Glen Park, Gary, Indiana, Between 1942 and 1965.
• Residence: Illinois, 1965.
• Residence: Merrillville, Indiana, at Town Square Retirement Village, 1987.
• Residence: Hobart, Indiana, at Brentwood Assisted Living Community, 2000.
• Residence: Hobart, Indiana, May 2002.
• Residence: Hobart, Indiana, Dec 2005.
• Funeral Service: Hobart, Indiana, at Burns Funeral Home with rev. Jonathan Gosser officiating, Dec 29, 2005.
Olive married Jesse L. Goodwin. (Jesse L. Goodwin was born on Aug 18, 1902 in Schuyler Co., Illinois, died on Sep 29, 1985 in Rushville, Schuyler Co., Illinois 1 and was buried after Sep 29, 1985 in Rushville City Cemetery In Schuyler Co., Illinois.)